Monday, September 29, 2014

Welcome!

Hello!  Welcome to my blog.  


Me and Nick in Victoria, BC - May 2014

This is my very first blog post EVER so please be patient with me.  A little about me, I am a California native who has been living in Texas for the past 7 years.  I have two dogs, Flee and Flick, that I adore – a Border Terrier and Border Terrier/Jack Russell mix.  I lucked out and found a nice boyfriend, Nick, and we’ve been together just over 6 years.  I am a financial analyst by day, fiber fiend by night.  I’ll share more about myself with each post.  


Flee, Currie, and Flick
A little bit about how I became an avid knitter… My grandma taught me how to knit when I was quite young and I went through phases where I would pick up the needles for a while, but it was never the obsession it is today.   


(Me with my mom and grandma - my two favorite ladies)

I think it was about 2008 when I found my way back to fiber crafts by way of crochet amigurumi and a few ho-hum scarves.  I found that I didn’t LOVE crochet (I’m sure it was user error as my hands would cramp terribly) and never actually wore any of the scarves.  Somehow I stumbled across the Spud and Chloe book by Susan B. Anderson.  If you haven’t seen it, please check out the book!  It stars an adorable redhead and her sheep friend Spud.  I had never made knit toys before so the detailed instructions in the book were super helpful.  The toys turned out pretty cute and they were so addicting that I thought I could knit these forever!  


(Me with the amazing Susan B. Anderson in Maine, September 2014)

I then discovered Ravelry!  If you’re not one of the 4M members, stop reading, and join now.  It is a wonderful online world for knitters filled with patterns, yarns, projects, communities, and many many other useful tools.  I stumbled upon the Itty Bitty Knits group where I was warmly welcomed.  I started following Susan’s blog and seriously, my world changed!  She made everything (sweaters, shawls, etc.) look so easy to make, finish, and wear that I soon realized I didn’t have to just make toys the rest of my life, I could actually make a sweater that I would actually wear!!!!  More on all that later.  

My goal is to keep these posts relatively short and fun.  I’ll share what I’m working on, what I’ve finished, what’s on my wheel (yep, I spin too!), interesting patterns/recipes I discovered, and maybe we’ll even hear from Nick on occasion!  I hope you’ll subscribe or check back soon.  Leave a comment and introduce yourself. 

Cheers!

Kriste

No comments:

Post a Comment